Want to Know More About the Courts?
Speakers are available for your group.
As part of the Sixth Judicial Circuit’s community outreach efforts, the Public Information Office manages a Speakers Bureau. A goal of the bureau is to educate and enhance the public’s perception and understanding of the Court’s role and responsibilities in the community.
The courts have a major influence on society and daily life, and judges and court staff provide insight into how civil and criminal cases proceed through the court system and how conflicts are resolved.
Educational-type programs are presented by judges and senior staff personnel within the circuit, which serves the citizens of Pasco and Pinellas counties. Presentations will be of interest to civic groups, private clubs, school functions and other community organizations that have an interest in:
- Increasing public understanding and knowledge of the judicial system;
- Providing a forum for judges and members of the community to exchange views about common concerns.
Speakers will not answer questions about specific cases.
Choose from a suggested list of topics, or ask us about creating something just for your group.
Because of court calendars, at least three weeks – and preferably a month – of lead time is preferred when requesting a speaker. But in some cases, emergency requests can be fulfilled.
Choose from the following subjects:
Regarding the Court System in General
- How the Court System Works
- How the Courts Affect the Lives of Everyone
- Jury Service
- Our Criminal Justice System
- Judicial Assistants, Who They Are & What They Do
- How Criminal Law Applies to Us All
- Access to the Courts, Who Has It, Who Needs It & How to Use It
- Civil Court, What & Whom It’s For
- Who Pays for the Court System
- Mental Health Issues with Defendants
Regarding Family Issues in the Court System
- Unified Family Court
- Child Custody Investigations
- Dependency Issues
- Families in Crises
- Custody Disputes
- Domestic Violence
- Paternity Issues
- Child Support
- Representing Yourself in Family Court Issues
Regarding Children in the Courts
- Children’s Legal Issues
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Teen Court
- Diversion Programs
- The Law & Kids
- Guardians ad Litem, the Children’s Representative in Court
- Truancy as a Legal Issue
- When a Primary Parent Gets Shipped Off to War
Regarding Citizens With Special Needs
- Legal Issues With the Elderly
- Legal Issues With the Mentally Ill
- Legal Issues With the Disabled
- Welfare Issues
- Mental Health Hearings
Regarding Other Aspects of the Court System
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Parent Facilitators
- Drug Court
- A Career in Law
How to Arrange for a Speaker from the Sixth Judicial Circuit
To request a Sixth Judicial Circuit speaker for your next gathering, contact:
Public Information Office
Sixth Judicial Circuit
14250 49th St. North, Suite 2000
Clearwater, FL 33762